WHAT IS A HERNIATED DISC?
A herniated disc is when the shock absorber(disc) between the two bones(vertebraes) ruptures and the insides(nucleus pulpolsus) leaks past the outter ring annulus fibrosis).
HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?
Too much stress and pressure on the disc due to prolonged poor posture, a scoliosis, long term subluxation or trauma can and will lead to the disc rupturing.
WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF A HERNIATED DISC?
The Nucleus is an irritant to the nerves as it leaks out from the inside of the disc. The disc outter ring is highly innovated with nerve fibers, causing pain and swelling as it tears. The herniated section of the disc can press upon the spinal cord or either spinal nerve of that level, causing numbness and tingling, sharp shooting pain or muscle twitching and cramping, to wherever that nerve travels to. In your neck it would be your shoulders, arm and hands. In you low back it will be your butt thigh and leg.
You must remember that only 20% of aq nerve is for pain, the other 80% is for you brain to tell your body how you function. Nerves from your neck also innovate your thyroid, trachea, tonsils and diaphragm.
In your low back, those nerves go to your small intestines, reproductive organs, kidneys, adrenals glands, appendix, bladder, prostate and rectum.
HOW DO YOU DIAGNOSIS A HERNIATED DISC?
A herniated disc is diagnosed through MRI. Although you can imagine how damaged a disc is through Xray, compression on the spinal nerves or cord must be witnessed by CT scan or MRI.
WHAT TREATMENTS ARE THERE FOR A HERNIATED DISC?
Treatments range from conservative care like traction and electric stimulation and ice, to chiropractic manipulative therapy and spinal decompression. Cortisone injections sometimes help the swelling and in severe cases epidurals and surgery are required. Physical therapy is a great idea to stabilize and strengthen the spinal and core, but after you have been treated by your chiropractor for realignment and decompression for at least one month. After that, concurrent care brings about the fastest results.
Wearing a supportive orthosis(brace/belt) is highly recommended. Drinking alot of water is definately required, because the disc is mostly made of hydrolonic acid and water.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO HEAL A PROLAPSED DISC?
The current literature suggests a prolapsed disc(herniated), can take 12-18 months to heal correctly. This is if the proper therapy, lifestyle changes and nutrients are added at the time of first diagnosis. This is why I strongly oppose, laying down for a week to "see if it goes away."
If you or someone you know, has a herniated disc, both new or old, please allow our team to evaluate their condition and give them a treatment protocol that can get them out of pain, and back to what they love.
For more information on Dr. Peloquin and The Hands Of Gold Chiropractic, please visit http://www.handsofgoldchiropractic.com/